Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Someone To Watch Over Me by Lisa Kleypas



Book Description:
She couldn't remember who she was...

A temptingly beautiful woman awakens in a stranger's bed, rescued from the icy waters of the Thames, her memory gone. Told that she is Vivien Rose Duvall, one of London's most scandalous beauties, she finds herself under the protection of enigmatic, charming Grant Morgan. Her life is in his hands. Deep in her heart, she knows he has mistaken her for someone else...

He was the only man she could trust. As one of London's most eligible, and unattainable catches, Grant Morgan is a man who has known every kind of woman. And the one in his arms now seems so innocent, so vulnerable, that he can't help but be enchanted. And as his love for this mysterious beauty grows, he's determined to unravel the secrets of her past and discover the truth--no matter what.


So far I've liked everything I've read by Lisa Kleypas, but this book was the first of hers that hasn't thrilled me. It wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me either - a bit too on the melodramatic side for me, and hardly any humor in it. It just took itself too seriously. I like a more lighthearted romance.

This is the story of a young beautiful woman who had amnesia. She's in the care of tall, handsome, and slightly uncouth Grant Morgan, a rich Bow Street Runner who thinks she is London's greatest and notorious courtesan. Plus, he has no liking for her - though he has desired her in the past, and was rebuffed by her. He has an axe to grind with the great Vivien Duvall and plans to even the score with her. But, he unwillingly falls in love with her instead because she's nothing like the scheming vixen he had known previously. This amnesiac Vivien is all sweetness, caring and considerate of others. But, someone is trying to kill her and it's up to Grant to find her would be murderer and bring him to justice. Plus, he has to solve the dilemma of his heart that he's falling for nothing better than a high priced whore who will sell herself to the highest bidder. How can he come to terms with it - the more he investigates her almost murder - the more he finds out about her secrets and just how nefarious her past really is.

Vivien (as I will call her) is not much of a heroine. I don't feel like we really get into her. I never really "bonded" with her, perhaps it's because through most of the book we don't know who she really is. I knew she couldn't possibly be the courtesan everyone thinks she is, so who is she? A sister? A long lost cousin? She seemed so boring to me compared to everything we hear about her notoriously promiscuous sister. Plus I think she gave it up to Grant much to easily, which wasn't in keeping with her maidenly charms and shy demeanor. I also felt sorry for her at the same time. Their first time together, he realizes she can't be Vivien because she's a virgin. I saw this happening from almost page 1, so when it really did happen, it was a bit anti-climatic (no pun intended, of course!) and no surprise. Not only that, but I guessed immediately who the real culprit of the book was, the one that was trying to murder Vivien.

I'm not saying I disliked this book, but it was a little boring at times, the sex was okay, not as good as in her later books, and I just felt like this needed something. It all seemed lacklustre - needs more oomph! Give me some humor and the hero and heroine poking fun at themselves a bit. Grant was so big and huge and forbidding all the time. Always scowling or trying to stop himself from going berserk from his pent up desire or anger. It got kind of old. Vivien was predictably uncertain of herself and just too sweet and good to be true - it made for a dull heroine.

This is the first of the Bow Street Runners Series, and I'll continue with it, I hope they get better. I think they will, as I said before, this is an early book of Kleypas', and I'm sure they'll improve, for her Wallflowers Series is great!

I'll give this a 3.5/5.

2 comments:

WhiteLady3 said...

The synopsis seemed interesting but it seems to turn quite dull. I'm trying to read something by this author but I guess I'll just try to pick some other book.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I suggest reading her Wallflower Series first, or the Gambler series, like I said, this is the first book of hers I wasn't thrilled with. So far my favorite was Again the Magic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails