Sunday, December 19, 2010

2010 Audiobook Challenge Completed - Year End Wrap Up


I had an amazing year for audiobooks, some of my favorite all time books were discovered this year on audio.  I easily completed the 2010 Audiobook Challenge hosted by Aline at Royal Reviews. My goal was to listen to 20 audiobooks (obsessed level) for the year.  I surpassed that figure and listened to 33!  What were some of my favorites?  To name a few:  A Town Like Alice, The Help, Life: Keith Richards and Paul is Undead.  I discovered several new authors, such as Kate Morton, Ariana Franklin and Elizabeth Peters, plus I zipped through all three Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books!

Below is my list in the order I finished them and my ratings.  All with links to my reviews.

1. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown   3.5 stars
2. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton  4.5 stars
3. The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig  4 stars
4. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute  5 stars
5. Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake Vampire Slayer) by Laurell K. Hamilton   2 stars
6. The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick  3.5 stars
7. The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next) by Jasper Fforde  4 stars
8. The Temptation of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig  3.5 stars
9. Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George  3 stars
10. The Help by Kathryn Stockett   5 stars
11. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton  3.5 stars
12. The Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig 3.5 stars
13. Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde  3.5 stars
14. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson  4.5 stars
15. The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss  4 stars
16. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson   4 stars
17. A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick   1.5 stars
18. The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn  2.5 stars
19. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson  4.5 stars
20. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe   3.5 stars
21. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See  3.5 stars
22. Paul is Undead by Alan Goldsher  4.5 stars
23. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova   2.5 stars
24. The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters   4 stars
25. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin  4 stars
26. Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati   3.5 stars
27. The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters  4 stars
28. First Among Sequels: Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde  3 stars
29. The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin  4 stars
30. Life: Keith Richards by Keith Richards  5 stars
31. The Mischief of the Mistletoe: a Pink Carnation Christmas by Lauren Willig  4.5 stars
32. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón   4 stars
33. Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters  4 stars

I fully intend to do this challenge again in 2011, it was so much fun and since I'm such a big audiobook lover, it was a breeze to do!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!

11 comments:

Yvette said...

I've read a few of the books on your list, Julie. Just wanted to step in and wish you and your family, happy reading, a happy Christmas and a happy New Year. (On your recommendation, I think, I bought an old copy of A TOWN LIKE ALICE by Nevil Shute. Will be reading it soon.)

Joanne said...

Congratulations on completing a ton of audiobooks (and such variety, too)! Can't wait to see what you have planned for 2011! Hope your holidays and new year are wonderful.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Yvette, thanks and I hope you have a great Christmas as well - I'm getting there! I have a ton to do this week! I hope you like A Town Like Alice - I loved, loved, loved it!

Joanne - thank you and I have plenty of ideas of what to read this year on audiobook, a little bit of everything, I tend you read non-romance on audio, it works out pretty well! Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Scorpio M. said...

Wow, that is an awesome list! I don't have too much experience with audiobooks but I'm thinking I should try a few, maybe a Pink Carnation book because you sold me on them! :)

Your review of "The Mischief of the Mistletoe" really piqued my interest so I picked up a copy. I loved it!! Turnip is so lovably, adorable and Arabella a great heroine for him. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading it. I did not want it to end. I ordered the first two of the series, I hope it is just as charming and fun.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Scorpio - thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed Mistletoe and have ordered the first two, the first in the series is my favorite of the whole series! I simply loved it! Have you read or seen the movie the Scarlet Pimpernel - it helps a little if you have, but not totally necessary.

Have a great Christmas and New Year yourself!

Teresa said...

Congratulations. What a great list of books. I hope you will decide to join the 2011 challenge.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Teresa, thank you, yes I am definitely joining up for 2011! I think they're going to have to add another category for me - "beyond obsessed!" LOL!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Impressive list. My husband listens to his kindle in audio mode during his commute - an hour and twenty minutes each way. He loves listening, despite the metallic sounding voice.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Julia - I love listening while I commute, although I recently changed jobs and my commute is half of what it used to be, so it's taking me longer to get through a book now. But I also listen while folding laundry, ironing, emptying the dishwasher, making dinner, you name it! The best part of the audiobooks is the reader, that makes or breaks a book for me. I have my favorites, such as Simon Vance or Barbara Rosenblat, I can't imagine, frankly, just listening to the kindle audio version, I need a real "actor" who makes the characters come alive in the audio.

Scorpio M. said...

Thanks Julie, I have the Scarlet Pimpernel on my Kindle. I should read it just to get in the right mood for the Pink Carnation. I'm so excited about this series now!

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Scorpio, I'm glad you're psyched for the series. Kee in mind the first few books are much racier and there is the modern day plotline as well. A bit different than Mistletoe which really could be a standalone. Happy reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails