Monday, July 13, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James



Book Description:
When it comes to the laws of attraction, there are no rules

The battle between the sexes is about to make these two lawyers hot under the collar. Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they're asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other's personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.


I loved it.

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!

Now, are we clear on this? I loved this book!

Do you ever read a book and you're just so enthralled by it that you can't really think straight, much less write a cohesive sentence about it? There are so many things you love about it that it's, well, too hard to write about it? So many ideas are mixed up in your brain that it feels like it's swelling up and it's hard to focus on anything? Well, I'm there, that's me. Watch out, it's a tad gushy up ahead.

I'm simply bowled over by this author, Julie James - another grand slam contemporary hit out of the park - Wrigley Park! Endearing, witty lawyerly characters, lots of snappy dialogue with a nod to Pride and Prejudice - a real winner - I highly recommend it!

I can't say that I liked this one as much as her first, Just the Sexiest Man Alive, but this was a hair's breadth away from it. Both are fantastic!

This is the story of Payton Kendall, a workaholic Chicago lawyer with a top notch record at her law firm. She's a senior associate and is hoping to make partner within the year. Her arch enemy and nemesis, J.D. Jameson, who also happens to be born rich and good looking is the other top notch Senior Associate at the firm - with the same intentions and hopes. Both have been competing against one another for the past eight years. For eight years they've been exchanging jabs and barbs at each other, yet keeping up a facade of getting along with one another in front of the partners. I found it hilarious how they dealt with each other, especially once they find out that the firm is only going to make one person a partner this year, and the one who isn't chosen will have to basically leave the firm - up or out - as they call it. Who will it be? Payton or J.D.?

The mayhem that ensues is particularly delicious whether deliberate or not, it all made for great reading, especially since it's pretty obvious these two are mad about each other, but they're the last ones to admit it. But let me tell you, it was great, great, great reading up to the point when finally (!) they get there! They're meant for each other and the whole wrap up and revelations and outcome made this an A++ book, plus it was a real page turner! This is a great couple, they're comepetiveness and clever banter reminded me of a Tracy and Hepburn movie!

I'm leaving tons out, but I laughed and laughed and even came close to tears at one point, it was such a good story and so well written, it leaves you with a real smile on your face. What a talent! The characters come to life, you feel like you know them, I wish I could meet them! J.D. at first comes across as this snidely type, but you really fall for him by the end. *sniff sniff* What a guy. Payton is so lucky! Do yourself a favor, read it for yourself - you'll see what I mean. You won't be sorry, I dare you not to like this book!

Now, if only Hollywood would come to it's senses and make a movie out of it!

5/5

6 comments:

Rowena said...

Awww, I loved this book too! Am so glad you enjoyed this one! Great review!

Cindy W said...

I have Just the Sexiest Man Alive in my tbr pile! I need to add this one too! Great review!

Julie James said...

Hi Julie!

Thanks for the wonderful review!! Glad you enjoyed the book! Wow, an A++... that just made my day. :-)

Best,
Julie

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Rowena, glad you liked it too, thank I wish my review were longer, but I was so befuddled!

Cindy - you've *got* to read these books, they are too good to put off!

Julie - yes I enjoyed the book, it was so entertaining - glad I made your day! Have fun at RWA!

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey Hon..

I have two of her book earmarked for later on this summer - but it looks as if I am going to toss out the rule book and pick up one of these this weekend...

Thanks for the review - I love career minded protags - it alway make for loads of repress angst..

E.H>

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

E.H. I hope you like them - frankly, I don't see how you can't! LOL! Great summer reading too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails