Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Book Description:
Dear Reader,

Being trapped in a bedroom with a woman is a grand thing. Being trapped in hundreds of bedrooms over two thousand years isn't. And being cursed into a book as a love-slave for eternity can ruin even a Spartan warrior's day.

As a love-slave, I know everything about women. How to touch them, how to savor them, and most of all, how to pleasure them. But when I was summoned to fulfill Grace Alexander's sexual fantasies, I found the first woman in history who saw me as a man with a tormented past. She alone bothered to take me out of the bedroom and onto the world. She taught me to love again.

But I was not born to love. I was cursed to walk eternity alone. As a general, I had long ago accepted my sentence. Yet now I have found Grace--the one thing my wounded heart cannot survive without. Sure, love can heal all wounds, but can it break a two-thousand-year-old curse?

Julian of Macedon

Quickie Review:  This contemporary paranormal romance set in New Orleans, started out sort of interesting but then fizzled somewhere in the middle.  First of the Dark Hunter Series, Grace Alexander, a sex therapist, (of all occupations), hasn't had a boyfriend for umpteen years.  For her birthday present, her psychic friend conjures up a sex slave for her for a month - Julian of Macedon. Julian has been trapped in a magical book for two thousand years.  The only time he gets out is when he is summoned to be a sex slave to some lucky woman.  How did he get in this predicament?  A curse was put on him way back when in ancient Greece by his half brother, who is a god - an angry god.

The summoning works and Grace finds herself face to face with this gorgeous hunk of man.  But, she's wary of the whole set up and refuses to have sex with him until she gets to know him better.  But that doesn't stop her from doing everything else with him!  She also doesn't want to "use" him as others have over the centuries.  Did I mention he can't have an orgasm either - until the curse is broken?  Poor man!  So, instead he spends all his time pleasuring her - lucky Grace! ;)  As they spend more and more time together she wants to help him break the curse, which isn't easy.  They must wait to have sex in order to break the curse.  For the rest of the book, we are waiting for the big moment when the time comes to break it.  If they do it wrong - he will be sent back immediately to the book forever.  Julian and Grace have a rollicking good time together leading up to the big night, but always there is the worry of the curse hanging over their heads.  It stops her from completing falling head over heels for him and both are tense and sexually starved by the end!   In addition to that, Grace is convinced that once the curse is broken, he'll go back to his own time and forget all about her.  He does want to go back - but for revenge.   He falls in love with her, but he worries about what would he do in modern day America - he's a Spartan warrior!  They wind up bickering and the usual big misunderstanding due to a lack of communication.  Meanwhile, there's a pesky weirdo stalking her and wouldn't you know it - Grace kicks Julian out of her house just when she needs him the most to protect her!

Frankly I got a bit fed up with this whole storyline.  Grace did nothing for me, and I found this whole love slave thing ridiculous.  Yes, I know this is a paranormal romance, but it was so far-fetched and I didn't have much sympathy for either the hero or the heroine.  I just wanted to get to the end and see them finally have sex and break the curse already!

This is a very popular series, so I'm sure the rest of the books are better than this prequel - but I'm just not really sure if this is my cup of tea.   Fantasy just isn't a favorite of mine, but I'll give it one more chance...

3.5/5

2 comments:

The_Book_Queen said...

Great review--I'm sorry that this one didn't wow you; I personally love it, and most of the rest of this series, but then again I'm a paranormal/fantasy fan, and to each her own. :D But maybe if you read future ones in this series you will enjoy it more--I'll be curious to find out if/when you do read more of them.

Enjoy!
TBQ
http://tbqspersonalbookpalace.blogspot.com (Holiday Giveaway ends 12/31/11)

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

TBQ - I know so many love this series. I already have the next two books in my book pile, so I'm definitely reading those, but I'm not sure if I'll read the whole series though. This isn't really one of my favorite romance genres, I just have trouble with fantasy, I guess. I just never really got into it like a lot of others, same thing with vampire stories! LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails