Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning


Book Description:
A laird trapped between centuries... Enchanted by a powerful spell, Highland laird Drustan MacKeltar slumbered for nearly five centuries hidden deep in a cave, until an unlikely savior awakened him. The enticing lass who dressed and spoke like no woman he'd ever known was from his distant future, where crumbled ruins were all that remained of his vanished world. Drustan knew he had to return to his own century if he was to save his people from a terrible fate. And he needed the bewitching woman by his side.... A woman changed forever in his arms... Gwen Cassidy had come to Scotland to shake up her humdrum life and, just maybe, meet a man. How could she have known that a tumble down a Highland ravine would send her plunging into an underground cavern to land atop the most devastatingly seductive man she'd ever seen? Or that once he'd kissed her, he wouldn't let her go? Bound to Drustan by a passion stronger than time, Gwen is swept back to sixteenth-century Scotland, where a treacherous enemy plots against them ... and where a warrior with the power to change history will defy time itself for the woman he loves....

One of the nice things about being home sick for a weekend with a bad cold and cough is I am at my leisure to read romance novels all day long and no one can bother me because "I am sick in bed." I already read and reviewed one book this past weekend, and this was my second - which I adored! I basically read it in one day. I must say, these Karen Marie Moning Highlander time travel romance novels are getting better and better as the Highlander series continue!

This is the story of Gwen and Drustan. Gwen is a modern day 25 year old virgin. She's carrying around some baggage and decides to go to Scotland to lose her virginity. Of course she has no idea she's going to meet the ideal man to do it (who cares if he's over 500 years old!) Well, she gets her wish. Not only is the sex great and highly passionate, but the build up is great and you don't have to wait until the end of the book! There's a great scene of him trying on clothes in a dressing room with a snotty salesgirl and a very passionate kiss (as in "the" kiss in the title). Their first encounter happens sort of early on, but then there is the problem that our hero, Drustan, sends them both back in time - but not together! So, we get to experience our hero and heroine, Gwen and Drustan having to meet and court all over again! I loved it!

If you like Highlander romances, this is very good, and I'm eager to read the rest of the series. Drustan (as usual) is larger than life, intelligent and a great lover as well. Gwen is feisty, extremely smart (a physicist) but lacking a bit on the self esteem. She goes after her man when she travels back in time to the 16th century and nothing stands in her way. I loved reading about how she adapts to the "other" Drustan and life in his castle. I enjoyed reading about the little romance between Drustan's father, Silvan, and their housekeeper Nell as well. My one gripe was the ending was a little offbeat in present day, and I was a bit disatisfied with it, I'd prefer it if it had stayed in the 1500's instead of present day. But, that was minor in the grand scheme of things, it was still a really good book!

5/5

P.S.

February 2, 2011 - Audiobook Review:

As usual, Phil Gigante did a great job narrating, his voice for Drustan and Silvan were perfect, not to mention Daegus.  But, again, I have a problem with his voice for Gwen, she doesn't click for me on audio the same way she did in print.  Still, this is my favorite of Moning's Highlander series - a real treat, and Gigante makes it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails